“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field." -Mt. 13:44 (ESV)

Friday, July 5, 2013

The Blessings of Marinating and Dancing

Marinate.
 What do you think of when you read or hear this word? Personally, I think of steak. A thick sirloin that is so tender from a night of marinating, hot off the grill and just a touch of pink. I’m a meat girl, always was-always will be.

Definition: To allow a sauce or flavoring mixture to absorb into something; to steep or soak something in a marinade to flavor or prepare it for cooking.

 I read this word several days ago in an email I received from a good friend. “Stoked for what the Lord has ahead for you and even where He has you marinating right now!!” It caught my eye, made me think of steak….but made me ponder what it means to be marinating in life, marinating in the presence of my Lord.

I am currently feeling so blessed right now in life. My current position at my job is allowing me to work one on one with people who so selflessly desire to give of themselves. I see horses, yes, horses carry broken, disabled, yet amazing individuals day after day, lap after lap, giving these riders hope. I have not only been able to experience the thrill of graduating with my BA and having a semester finished of my MA already, but I have also got to witness and rejoice with my sister as she walked across the stage for her high school diploma. My morning /evening devotions have rocked my world as of late and I feel so grateful for my earthly family, but also for my Heavenly Father as well. Nights have been spent on my horse or chatting it up with fellow comrades over dinner or a cup of jo.

But, I consider my greatest blessing the overwhelming amount of peace I have right now in life.  I can vividly see God filling my life and slowly diminishing every earthly want or desire I have.  Actually my daily prayer goes along the lines of, “I pray for patience in times of desire. Courage for when I am nudged to jump. Trust in times of waiting.

I don’t by any means want to sound like my life is perfect, it is the farthest thing from it; but I do believe in perspective, in learning lessons, in choosing joy, and in being patient.

I was recently at a Ladies Day retreat out at Gull Lake Ministries (I highly encourage this retreat to all you ladies who read this).

Sheri Rose Shepherd was the keynote speaker and boy did she challenge us women. One of the questions that stuck out to me was, “How many catastrophes have you gone through that actually never happened?” So often we tend to blow things out of the water when it comes to life and the struggles it brings. We live in a world that over exaggerates, focuses on negatives, and rarely is able to see the joy in the midst of hardships. Sheri encouraged us to dance.

D- Dream Everlasting Dreams.

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us…” Eph. 3:20a

The dream you felt God didn’t give you- would it have drawn you or anyone else closer to God? God doesn’t pull us out of dark places- to then keep it to ourselves.

“Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.” Prov. 19:21

We must have the faith of a mustard seed, God will move the mountain if it is in the way of his will.

A- Accept His grace.

“But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’a power may rest on me.” 2 Chr. 12:9

Sometimes God disables us- to enable us.

N- Never forfeit your identity in Christ.

So often we put faith in others before Christ. We can believe the Word of God or the word of man- but we can’t muddle them together.

“We are sons and daughters of the King.”

“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit-fruit that will last- and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.” John 15:16

Our worth is what someone else is willing to pay for you- Jesus died on the cross for us.

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full.” John 10:10

C-Come out of hiding.

This is the state of ‘whatever’. In order to let loose and dance, you don’t need designer jeans, a great haircut, or any worldly item, all you need to know is the Designer of your life.

E- Embrace your battles.  

You will have troubles- there is no might. So often when we are wounded and broken we see God in such a vivid and astounding way.

The giants in life are not too big to hit- but they are too big to miss. For it is when we head into battle an opportunity to watch the invisible God become visible arises.

So I have a couple of questions…

First, how are you being marinated?

Second, are you dancing?

No comments:

Post a Comment